Music Banter - View Single Post - What are you reading right now?
View Single Post
Old 02-02-2009, 12:14 AM   #1105 (permalink)
sleepy jack
isfckingdead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrible Lizard View Post
Good point, but considering Fahrenheit was banned in some towns because the book had scenes where the bible was burned. I don't think Ray's image was that extreme.

What I was getting at, and what Frank Zappa was getting at 20 or so years ago, is that censorship no matter how little can lead to the horrors of big brother, you only need half of a worm to grow into a full twisting catastrophe.

I should get my hands on "Why I Write." but perhaps the quotes I read by him were taken from that, I'm not sure.

Also back to character development, Orwell made Winston an everyman so the reader could relate, but that always seems to distance the reader to me.
I mean, Prometheus from Anthem seems to have more character traits than Smith I rooted for Equality, but Winston's eventual failing only left me with depression regarding the cold effeciency of the Orwellian future, not necessarily of Winston's situation.
I just think because 1984 has a larger scope the thought behind it is far more original and frightening. I'm not going to knock Fahrenheit 451 (anymore than I already have) as I think it's a good book, but I feel 1984 is on a different level and doing something of a greater magnitude. Orwell aimed to document a time, Bradbury was writing a fiction story. Because of this I think the aesthetic of 1984 is absolutely necessary; it's a bleak story depicting bleaker times and a minimalistic style as opposed to a more poetic one serves the story more.
sleepy jack is offline   Reply With Quote