Music Banter - View Single Post - Sgt. Pepper's, S.F Sorrow or Piper at the gates of dawn?
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2009, 05:37 PM   #40 (permalink)
lucifer_sam
Unrepentant Ass-Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeLittleHobbit View Post
S.F. Sorrow is yet another great album (I just bought it about a week ago). I'm suprised that this seems to get overlooked so often... But my problem with it is that it sounds very Beatle-like to me. Alot of the songs sound very much like the Fab 4's later albums, such as Abbey Road. I know this is a rather small complaint, but Piper and Pepper have a more original sound to me. That having been said, I think that this album is kick ass, and it makes me very eager to explore more 60s underground acid rock.
You're comparing S. F. Sorrow to albums that it predated and turning around and calling it unoriginal? It was the Beatles and the Stones who were heavily influenced by the Pretty Things, not the other way around (Jagger and Richards were in the band at one point). I won't pretend Phil May revolutionized music but I'm pretty damn sure he at least brought something new into the picture. S. F. Sorrow was certainly a more worthwhile accomplishment than loads of ripoffs that came after it (including the epically overrated shitpile Tommy).