Music Banter - View Single Post - Rock/Metal/Prog Education Thread
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2009, 11:15 PM   #59 (permalink)
Scratchy7929
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by zegna View Post
I definitely agree with the part in bold.

But the rest of your post looks to be total bull. First, Iommi didn't lose a finger but the tips of two fingers on his right hand (middle and ring, I think). He played left-handed. The plastic finger tips he created had nothing to do with the way he hit chords since they were on his fret hand. And, in any case, it's generally the progressions themselves (chromatic, tritone, modal scale), which gives metal its character, not just how the chords are hit.

Next, you'll be saying that his plastic finger tips gave birth to palm-muting (or pizzicato)...
I would say Sabbath were the originators of the early stripped down louder blues/hard rock based Metal sound [based on Led Zeppelin's sound or even King Crimson's - 21st Century Schizoid Man (track)]- which had a slow to medium tempo.Judas Priest developed a new sounding metal from their early Heavy Prog sound stripped it down speeded up the tempo & made it more abrasive to form a sound associated with 80's NWOBHM sound (Iron Maiden). almost Trad Metal now.

Last edited by Scratchy7929; 02-03-2009 at 11:26 PM.
Scratchy7929 is offline   Reply With Quote