Music Banter - View Single Post - I recently started learning bass...
View Single Post
Old 02-04-2009, 12:11 AM   #8 (permalink)
Roygbiv
marquee moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr dave View Post
i think it's really futile to try learning a list of random tunes from strangers unless you've already tapped out everything you already like (which you haven't mentioned yet). if i've said it once....

playing music is not a competition

no one will care what tunes you know how to play unless you're auditioning for a cover band. stick with what YOU like, it'll make learning the instrument far more rewarding.

personally i'm also against getting a list of the simplest tunes to start with. i've always gone straight for the pinnacle of what i wanted to achieve in the moment with the knowledge that i would ultimately 'fail' as a beginner. first tune i tried learning on bass was 'higher ground' by the chili peppers. hard as hell when you've never slapped or popped, but i stuck with it for a while, and when i tried the 'simpler' RHCP tunes i breezed through them.

as opposed to having a steady climb i started at a personal peak (and struggled), but you better believe by the time i revisited that peak i SMOKED that bass line.
I still haven't figured out how to slap or pop. Any tips? Any techniques? I always blame it on my bass being cheap but I highly doubt thats the real problem.

Also, I wholeheartedly agree.

Listen to the music that got you into playing bass in the first place, and then look for the tabs online and learn them.
Roygbiv is offline   Reply With Quote