Music Banter - View Single Post - I recently started learning bass...
View Single Post
Old 02-04-2009, 08:40 PM   #10 (permalink)
GuitarBizarre
D-D-D-D-D-DROP THE BASS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr dave View Post
i think it's really futile to try learning a list of random tunes from strangers unless you've already tapped out everything you already like (which you haven't mentioned yet). if i've said it once....

playing music is not a competition

no one will care what tunes you know how to play unless you're auditioning for a cover band. stick with what YOU like, it'll make learning the instrument far more rewarding.

personally i'm also against getting a list of the simplest tunes to start with. i've always gone straight for the pinnacle of what i wanted to achieve in the moment with the knowledge that i would ultimately 'fail' as a beginner. first tune i tried learning on bass was 'higher ground' by the chili peppers. hard as hell when you've never slapped or popped, but i stuck with it for a while, and when i tried the 'simpler' RHCP tunes i breezed through them.

as opposed to having a steady climb i started at a personal peak (and struggled), but you better believe by the time i revisited that peak i SMOKED that bass line.
...You're a freak Dave. You always take the exact opposite approach I do to guitar or whatever. I have no idea how you do it. It astounds me :lol:

I started playing guitar, my dad showed me 4 open chords that he had to re-show me every time I picked it up for about a week. I just strummed those along for a couple of months and then I learned how to read tab and Learned a typically terrible cover version of Smells like Teen Spirit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
I'll have you know, my ancestors were Kings of Wicklow! We're as Irish as losing a three-nil lead in a must-win fixture!

Last edited by GuitarBizarre; 02-04-2009 at 09:05 PM.
GuitarBizarre is offline   Reply With Quote