Music Banter - View Single Post - Sgt. Pepper's, S.F Sorrow or Piper at the gates of dawn?
View Single Post
Old 02-04-2009, 08:50 PM   #49 (permalink)
lucifer_sam
Unrepentant Ass-Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzrocks View Post
All I know the Beatles started recording Sgt Pepper in Nov of 1966 and "Strawberry Fields Forever" and "Penny Lane" were released in Feb of 1967. Songs like "A Day in the Life" and 'Sgt Pepper" were already recorded before Pink Floyd even finished recording their first single "Arnold Layne". I remember reading that S.F. Sorrow was recorded when the Beatles were finishing of the last songs of Pepper. What does it matter anyway they all influenced each other?
One thing about classic rock bands (especially the Beatles, the Who, the Stones) is they refuse to label their contemporaries as influences. I'm not saying it didn't happen, but there's a general distaste to declare lateral influences. Bearing that in mind there are concrete reasons why these albums sounded so similar. They had the same set of studio engineers. S.F. Sorrow and Piper at the Gates of Dawn had the same producer, who also produced early Beatles works (Norman Smith).