Music Banter - View Single Post - Should file sharing be illegal
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2009, 01:18 PM   #48 (permalink)
TheCellarTapes
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Hatemonger View Post
It's already happened and it happened a long time before music was downloaded for free.

The major labels have been a monopoly for over 20 years. They've had a stranglehold on radio , TV and other media outlets which has all but killed off most of the independent labels. How many true independent labels are there around now that can compare in size & structure to the likes of 4AD , Rough Trade , Creation or SST in their prime. I can think of one label , Beggars Banquet , and thats it.

The only independent labels around now are small time outfits who don't stand a hope in hell of getting any real exposure because of the stranglehold of the majors , it is not down to people downloading.
If anything it's helping them because filesharing on the internet is probably the only way people would be able to hear the stuff being produced by these labels. And it has been said many times by many people on here if a product is good they will buy it.

These labels need to realise this and make a marketing strategy to accommodate this. It's no use starting up an independent label and then start bitching & whining about your stuff being traded for free online , that's become the norm now. If your not prepared to accept it and find ways of turning that extra exposure into money then you shouldn't be running a business in the first place.
I dont really see how using the fact the number of Independent labels and stores are increasingly being swallowed up by the big boys as any justification for speeding up the process, more a call to arms. And again, just because it is the accepted norm is no indication that all is honky dory with it as a way of positive progression.

I would urge you to read my points again, I have no view about newer emerging markets and existing mainstream markets as I understand the rights and wrongs of that arguement and like to sit on the fence.

My negative points to file sharing surround niche markets and niche labels, the markets which are too small for the major players and the file sharers to be fussed with, but with whom have had the biggest impact on my musical purchases over the last few year.

I would also argue that there must be some logic, that say for example one person receiving 10 tracks by The Sonics on file share, is one lost customer for a niche retailer who for once out maneouvered the big boys and put a profitable record in his shop that they didnt want. Instead of rewarding that retailer for his musical passion, judgement and knowledge, we say he should'nt be running a business.

I find that a bit of an ill thought out idea and as suggested I fear would be a worrying slide for some retro bands into a file sharing oblivion, assuming their material ever gets re-released.

Last edited by TheCellarTapes; 02-05-2009 at 01:31 PM.
TheCellarTapes is offline   Reply With Quote