Music Banter - View Single Post - Should file sharing be illegal
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2009, 02:02 PM   #50 (permalink)
TheCellarTapes
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Hatemonger View Post
Niche bands & niche labels are probably the least affected by filesharing simply because of their appeal and their market.

To use your example if someone were to put out a Sonics album with maybe live recordings , rarities or whatever, I would say that something like that would only appeal to diehard Sonics fans who would probably like to own the real thing anyway.

Now I might download it out of interest , if I do that they've not lost a sale because I never had any intention of buying it anyway , On one hand I might decide I do like it and want to own the real thing or I might decide it's not for me and delete it.

That's the reality of it , you can either be original & innovative and sell a quality product or fall by the wayside. Which in essence is how it's always been , so nothing has changed.

I think niche is hugely effected by any shift because the margins are less.

Lets be honest here, music banter is rife with file sharers and rife with people who know niche music, the very people who would normally be physical record collectors, its not rocket science to see the effects of file sharing on niche markets whose margins are tight enough without losing a core audience.

Be it the labels, the fair traders or the stores. Without any of these three players, the various re-emerging music markets die and no one will ever recondition and rerelease any lost records, and that for me is uncomprehensible.
TheCellarTapes is offline   Reply With Quote