Music Banter - View Single Post - Comus' Review Corner
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2009, 11:33 PM   #84 (permalink)
Comus
I'm sorry, is this Can?

ALBUM #6

The Mars Volta – Amputechture

Cover:

Year: 2006
Genre: Progressive Rock
Tracklisting:
1. Vicarious Atonement (7:19)
2. Tetragrammaton (16:41)
3. Vermicide (4:15)
4. Meccamputechture (11:02)
5. Asilos Magdalena (6:34)
6. Viscera Eyes (9:23)
7. Day of the Baphomets (11:56)
8. El Ciervo Vulnerado (8:50)

I know I’ve ranted and raved about the Mars Volta since I came here, but I’ve never actually stuck my head out and reviewed one of their albums, well no better time really. This is, absolutely the worst Mars Volta album to date, however it’s also my favourite. Despite a total lack of direction, completely overblown and the fact that it’s just random odds and sods that the band decided to record and that I very much dislike the last 4 songs. As I said, it’s the worst, but my favourite.

Take the start, Vicarious Atonement, the band works itself up, the guitar wails and meanders about for minutes before anything actually happens. Cedric finally bothers to start singing and when he does it is total and utter bullshit. A variety of instruments and sounds are meshed together seemingly randomly to great effect, that is of course if the aim is to confuse and upset a wide variety of listeners.

When I first heard this album it completely blew me away, I was absolutely astounded, this band had actually released an album so absurd, so useless, so utterly rubbish. But that was the appeal, in the first two or three months of the album leaking I had heard it at least upwards of 300 times, I knew every word, every single bit of total gibberish, I could even sing the Spanish verses! Since then it’s fair to say that I only spin it once a month if it’s lucky, but still, that’s quite a lot considering.

Before you ask, yes the kiosk in my temporal lobe is shaped like Rosalynn Carter, moving on…

The only song I’d truly consider good and well in any way to the point is the much hated Vermicide, what is it with Mars Volta fans hating the shortest songs/singles of their much coveted albums? I don’t care if you hate it, it’s damn catchy. It’s worth noting that Frusciante contributed quite a lot of guitar to the album as he has done with all the other Mars Volta works. You know if you have to recruit members from Red Hot Chili Peppers that it’s going to be bad.

Unlike my other recent reviews, I won’t be including youtube videos, sorry I really don’t want to make you all suffer through needless drivel.

Lush and terminaaaaall…

RAP! Wait, sorry more crap, and for fucks sake another 10+ minute long song. Meccamputechture is an affront to Islam, to associate such utter rubbish with the holiest of all religions is nothing short of sacrilege. Christ [sic] Cedric’s voice gets annoying quickly. Humans as ornaments? More like Mars Volta as shutting up, that would be far more novel.

To be honest I could endlessly go on about how utter rubbish the last half of the albums is, but I won’t bother, I’m just going to say, don’t ever, ever listen to it, the first half is barely worth it in order to insult it justly.

Despite the fact that it’s one of the worst albums ever released to critical acclaim, and definitely the worst Mars Volta album, this is my bloody review thread, and this is quite possibly my favourite album of all time. Thus logic, reason and taste must be thrown out of the window for the score.

10/10
Originally Posted by antonio
classical music isn't exactly religious, you know?
um
last.fm
Comus is offline   Reply With Quote