Music Banter - View Single Post - Best Female Vocalist?
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2009, 05:06 PM   #10 (permalink)
johne
Music Addict

Though the thread you link to is a good one, jackhammer, the way the question is posed puts emphasis on female "lead" singers in groups and, therefore, takes emphasis away (though not totally) from soloists. I like this thread because it seems to be asking 'best female volalist' despite solo or group. To Stamper's top three (who definitely top my list) and some others listed in this thread, I would add: Janis Joplin, Joan Jett, PJ Harvey, Tracy Chapman, Nina Simone, Linda Ronstadt, Patty Smith, Beth Orton, Grace Slick, and Annie Lenox. Some African singers who are some of greatest vocals on earth: Brenda Fassie, Cesaria Evora, and Angelique Kidjo. Other oldies who can't be overlooked: Bessy Smith, Etta James, Dusty Springfield, and Mahalia Jackson. And, DON'T HATE ME, although not always consistent, Janet Jackson (Velvet Rope) and Natalie Merchant (especially as lead of 10,000 maniacs and on Tiger Lily) were pretty good, too.

That's just my short list. I know I'm in the minority on this website, but I think female vocalists KICK ASS and are equal to the many male vocalists that I like, too. Thanks for this thread!

Add Bonnie Raitt, too. (And, Aretha is completely overrated!)
johne is offline   Reply With Quote