Music Banter - View Single Post - No one has a better musical taste than anyone else
View Single Post
Old 02-08-2009, 07:15 PM   #4 (permalink)
ninaNirvana
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scots_ML View Post
Irrespective of how unpalatable that statement is to a lot of the posters on here, it is invariably true. It is impossible to state that your taste in music is better than anyone else’s.
If there’s one trend I hate it is the trend of liking bands (or genres) because the type of people you hang around with say you should.
For those reasons I never tell anyone that their musical taste stinks even if I don’t like it.
So in summary, keep listening to what you like, and don’t give a toss as to what others think.
Thank you very much for writing this. I am a music journalist and I write about all different genres of music for a living. I have spent the last few days simply reading through as many threads as possible here.

It surprises me how individuals can insulate themselves with a thinly applied knowledge of genre-specific bands and use it as a platform to stand on and pontificate off of to the selected few denizens of any forum in Cyberia.

Also, there seems to be a degree of xenophobia here; it's not as bad as places like The Velvet Rope where I have been a member for many years...but while I expect a degree of attitude from any Roper on any given day, I thought there would be more respect here for the newcomers especially and a more palpable air of welcoming. What worries me is that since I listen to so many different types of music I won't be accepted into any genre-specific threads here. I am very reticent in my MB postings so far for the simple reason that I feel the need to be guarded about my own personal tastes.

I always tell my 4 year old "If you don't have anything nice to say, then you shouldn't say it." That may simply sound like a mom talking...but it is the same thing my own mother always told me. And it always seems to help me get through the day.
ninaNirvana is offline   Reply With Quote