Music Banter - View Single Post - Need Help! Buying First Guitar.
View Single Post
Old 02-09-2009, 01:41 AM   #4 (permalink)
mr dave
nothing

hate to burst your bubble but it seems like you're looking at junk

a $35 'classical' with a gig bag is too good to be true. heck a gig back alone normally sells for that much, odds are it's decorative and would cause you more hassle to learn on than it's worth.

the fender 'starcaster' is the name of a hollowbody electric it used to offer in the late 70s early 80s. would be worth thousands had fender not re-used the name for it's intro packs and 3/4 size children's acoustic guitar. another thing to note from the ad.... There are no scratches, just a small crack on the neck.... don't even waste your time on this ad anymore.

the ariana is basically a no-name but actually sounds like a legit low-end acoustic guitar based on the ad.

personally i've got a low-end yamaha FG-170. i got lucky, yamaha instruments tend to be very hit or miss. there's no harm in trying multiple instruments (or bring a friend who's got some skills to try for you).

best advice i can offer is try before you buy. pawn shops are your friend especially when you're looking for a cheap starter instrument. don't worry about the name on the headstock, at this point in the game the most important features for you should be a straight neck and good tuning pegs.

above all though, remember to have fun, playing music should never feel like a competition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandteacher1 View Post
I type whicked fast,
mr dave is offline   Reply With Quote