Music Banter - View Single Post - No one has a better musical taste than anyone else
View Single Post
Old 02-09-2009, 07:02 AM   #15 (permalink)
Guybrush
Juicious Maximus III

The argument that you can't discuss opinions at all is based on it's own logic which kinda works, but not so much in a practical sense.

I think some people have a much better basis for their taste in music. If I wanna get some tips as to what new I should pick up, I'd much rather get that tip from someone I consider somewhat educated when it comes to music rather than someone who's not. I don't mean formal education, but if you've only ever listened to one metal band, how do you know if it's good compared to other metal bands out there?

When I read about thoughts on metal music, I value the opinion of someone who's listened to a lot of different metal bands higher than the guy who's only listened to one. I think a taste in music is better when it has a larger basis.

.. So of course we rate people's taste in music. What I described is one way of doing it. The most common one is probably more like this : The best taste in music is probably your own and then you might say his taste in music is better than hers because his taste more resembles my own.

I try not to put people down for what they listen to because if that music speaks to them, alright, I don't mind (though I might still make up my own personal opinion that the music they like is ****). I guess everyone here is above average exploratory in their search for music. Instead of saying "everything you listen to is ****", you can say "hey man, you should really listen to some of this".

edit :

I'll add that I thought the MB community was surprisingly welcoming and tolerant. I'm well experienced with forums and other forms of internet communities and I thought there would be much more elitisism going on ..