Music Banter - View Single Post - Dub Music Thread
View Single Post
Old 02-09-2009, 01:33 PM   #24 (permalink)
Terrible Lizard
****ER OF HOLES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin B. View Post
About 20 years ago I heard a Irish band that played traditional Celtic music using dub techniques. The band was even a guest on my radio show but I can't recall their name to save my life.

I thought perhaps one of our more musically astute UK forum members could assist me by venturing an educated guess on the name of the band. No, it wasn't any of the top-tier Celtic bands like the Chieftans, Clannad, the Bothy Band or the Pogues. These guys were not a household name, not even among fans of Celtic music or dub, but their album was fantastic. They were so impoverished they couldn't even afford to give me a promo copy of the album.

As far as I know, the mystery band only did one American tour which was a short East Coast tour around 1985 or '86. It was 5 or 6 male performers with whom I had an extensive on-air conversation with about Celtic dub. I've been trying to figure out the name of the band for 20 years now. They've put out at least two albums in the UK but I have yet to come across the band's music in an American record store. Put on your thinking caps and lend me a hand!

Celtic Cross? Maybe, *sigh* I'll look around.