Music Banter - View Single Post - Give me an album and I will review it
View Single Post
Old 02-09-2009, 01:36 PM   #109 (permalink)
Guybrush
Juicious Maximus III

This album request was by me and I probably didn't know anything more about Cardiacs than you did at that point. I've still yet to listen to the second CD from this album, so you've probably heard more Cardiacs than I have as well, but I'd like to say some things in their defence.

First off, you seem to have something against the fusing of prog and punk. I know the punk-killed-prog story, but remember that this band was first formed in 1976, just as punk was on it's way. I kind of like the idea of a band at that time taking the prog influences that they've had up until that point and riding the punk wave. Although I haven't heard their first release, it's labeled as "pronk" so I guess they must've been doing their thing since the start.

Second, I thought prog and punk was an interesting mix. To me, it sounds like they've thrown out all the rules and just made music. "There's no room for all the lyrics. Oh well, ****e - let's just put in another couple of beats there before we hit the chorus" .. still, despite odd sounds, time signatures and other twists and turns, a lot of it is surprisingly catchy to me. "Dog Like Sparky" has been on my mind for a couple of days now ..

And from the little I've heard, there are some other interesting bits as well. Take the guitar solo from Fiery Gun Hand, is that played in real-time? .. Can't be!

Anyways, I've yet to work my way through the whole thing, so I don't have an opinion of the whole album yet, but I would (and have) recommend this for curiosity's sake and .. well, some of the songs I like.

I can agree that it's a bit cluttered and frantic though. On a bad day, I'm sure the signature Cardiacs sound can rub anyone the wrong way.