Music Banter - View Single Post - A vaguely alphabetical(but not really) numerically non-specific list of albums I like
View Single Post
Old 02-09-2009, 09:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
FireInCairo
Later on...

Default A vaguely alphabetical(but not really) numerically non-specific list of albums I like

Hi!
This is going to be my vaguely alphabetical (but not really), Numerically non-specific list of albums I really like.
There will be a mix of a whole lot of stuff, but I am going to try to the best of my ability to avoid the inclusion of albums I have had for only a short time.
This is due to my tendency as to be highly positive when considering new albums, and then promptly forgetting about them in around a month.

This isn't going to be a list of my top albums, as I don't have the patience or the constant mood to divine a list like that. Rather, this list will be of what I'm listening to now.

Also I think I will do an artist by each letter, and then start again. So it may only end when I forget about the thread.

Antony & the johnsons - I am a bird now

While this album is admittedly no where near being one of my absolute favourites, it is still a brilliant listen. The quality of the songwriting, the largely subtle arrangements and stylistic hutzpah are just incredibly engaging for me. No need to make mention of Antony Hergarty's voice, but I just did.

Nick Cave's first band was an explosion of stylistically ambitious noise-punk, that formed one of the more extreme and dark post-punk bands. This album is a bit more polished and considered than the earlier ep's, but the rhythm section still thunders along with shrieking guitar over the top and Nick Cave sounds like he's throwing up bile all over the microphone. The decent production and semi-conventional song structure renders some of these songs kind of catchy and definitely accessible to most people. If only it had release the bats on it.

I don't think I know of any album that is more fun than this blippy extravaganza of lycra cat suits and less than perfect knowledge of the english language. Their second album was admittedly ****e but this one rocks. What isn't great about the line "**** off is not the only thing you have to show"?. All I can say is fun.

The doors may be overrated and Jim Morrison a bloated, self important, faux-poetic windbag, but in between all the bull****, they actually made some pretty good albums. This one being their best in my opinion. It's got great great songs and a great appropriation of blues, which distances them from all the rubbishy psychedelia of their early releases and the half-way there sound of morrison hotel. Oh, and when Jim says he's a crawlin' king snake, I believe him.

Last edited by FireInCairo; 02-09-2009 at 09:36 PM.
FireInCairo is offline   Reply With Quote