Music Banter - View Single Post - 2009 Or 1984?
Thread: 2009 Or 1984?
View Single Post
Old 02-10-2009, 12:43 PM   #25 (permalink)
The Robot Hunter
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dac View Post
I feel the two issues are very intertwined personally. To say that we aren't divided is just ridiculous. We are in what is essentially a two party system. Your either Republican or Democrat or your vote is worthless. These two parties rarely agree on anything, and half of the things they do stand for are only stood for because they have larger agendas encompassing them. Political moderates such as myself are the ones that suffer. How the hell am I supposed to support stem cell research AND a strong foreign policy?
This is why we vote for people and not policies. There has to be a certain reconciliation of the policies that you don't believe in as strongly as others, and sometimes it sucks but you have to resign to the fact that there's probably not a politician that you agree with completely (unless you ran for office yourself... and even then your job is to represent the people of your city/district/etc. rather than your own agendas so there would have to be reconciliation there anyway). For instance, I'm pro-life, but I realized in the process of the presidential campaign that there are more pressing issues and that I can't vote for a candidate based on one policy.
There's obviously division in our two-party system but because we have people representing us (i mean of course there are politicians that are complete puppets of their parties i.e. sarah palin imo) there are politicians who stray from their party lines on certain issues, so there are politicians that are both pro-stem cell research and have strong foreign policy (don't ask me their names).
The hard part is cutting through the political party bull**** that people like rush dish out that makes it seem like this policy or that policy is the most important thing in the world and if you don't agree you're a communist; and finding what policies are important to you.
The Robot Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote