Music Banter - View Single Post - Ethics - What are yours like?
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2009, 04:26 AM   #2 (permalink)
iksosept
Music Addict

mmm. I guess I'm rather on the side of context-related morals.

Though I must say my social behavior follows certain principles. I can't help but mainly see the good in every one, so at first I'm always nice to everyone, and even when I'm dissapointed, I tend to still be nice. I don't know, call it naive or stupid, but that's how I am. Just because someone did something wrong I don't judge him/her for that really. I actually forget most of the things people did.
I've had plenty of discussions with my friends over that behavior in contrast with their behavior, as I have some friends who are over-critical towards others in my opinion.
They seem to have developed that behavior as reaction to being disappointed in the past on several occasions, which is understandable. I don't know, I think I just don't let people disappoint me, by never having too high expactations in people.
But in the end I'm not sure whether my behavior really fits with other people's feelings. I could imagine, that I have disappointed other people, because the way I talked to them could have made them expect me to be something I'm not, like their friend or something, where I just behaved in a nice way. Sounds mean and maybe selfish, but I can't help it really, I just would never interact with someone in a disrespectful way.

Other than that, I do behave context related, like I've stolen stuff a few times, but only in shops that seem to be well off, like H&M. I don't neccessarily follow that Golden Rule all the time. I know it's true, but I'm not that perfect. That's why there is a police, stuff like that. Of course, it would be perfect if we all lived by that Rule, but it will never happen.
So that's the occasions, where my disgust at people shines through. I like my friends, see the good in everyone. But in the end we are all animals. We think we're so much better, but we're not. Mankind has brought the worst to the world. Society's expectations are a burden for people who don't fit in perfectly. I love the individuals, but I hate them as a whole. So sometimes I feel the need to do something bad.

Another thing: I go voting, because it is my right and I should be thankful for that right. But on the other hand, the old problem: it's just 1 single vote, it doesn't matter really. And now don't start stuff like, but if everybody thought that way bla bla. Thing is, just because I think so, doesn't make ANY one else think so. I'd never try to convince people of that mindset, because I know THAT would have an effect.
So my conscience tells me: rather that vote yourself, you should go on the streets and tell everyone how important it is to vote. sounds like a contradiction, but it isn't. It's not even selfish, because by trying to convice people to vote I help the system. It's just hypocritical, but as I said, it's even of higher value if you compare the two. (Of course, a combination of both is the best)
But then again, I'm lazy so my conscience tells me: you didn't go on the street, at least vote yourself.

EDIT: damn, that's a lot of text.. but it's an interesting topic. couldn't stop my thoughts from rushing up to me.
iksosept is offline   Reply With Quote