Music Banter - View Single Post - The Photography Thread
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2009, 09:30 AM   #113 (permalink)
Guybrush
Juicious Maximus III

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackhammer View Post
You have such an interesting job lost out there amid the beauty of mother nature. I know the loneliness may get too much sometimes but I should imagine that the solitude is also embraced at times.
Yeah, it's a bittersweet thing. It was especially weird for me during the polar night last november/december when it was dark all day and there were not many people around. I was going to work in the lab everyday, usually without meeting anyone on the way in our out and then walking in the dark, wind and the snow back to this empty barrack .. There was just this really strange and kind of unreal feeling to it all. Sometimes it felt like everyone was gone and I was the only person left. But yeah, it does have it's own strange appeal .. A part of me miss it .. And of course I miss drinking myself stupid in front of the computer just listening to music.

Being up there on my own without music or internet would be too much for me, though.

Walking over the tundra for hours is really peaceful. I tend to get lost in my own thoughts and just walk while I stare like 2 metres in front of my feet until I suddenly remember that I should keep a lookout for bears.

It was during my last lonely period up there that I joined up on MB - another positive thing to come out of my time there ..