Music Banter - View Single Post - the *** sex & religion thread
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2009, 07:00 PM   #113 (permalink)
The Robot Hunter
Music Addict

I can definitely see how God could be seen as a bastard in the Old Covenant (or old testament) but He was just; not at all in a way that we see justice like "hey that guy came on the ground when God told him to make children, for sure kill him!," or "people are sinning all over the place, drown them all in a flood!" but things did change with the New Covenant (or Jesus, or New Testament), God didn't change but the way we interact did. Like I said, given the Old Testament I could see how people could say that God was a bastard, but I do have a problem with it if you consider Jesus.

I can't really see how someone could call Jesus a bastard (I mean I guess literally, Mary wasn't married to God was she? lol). He healed the blind and the lame, He put the first last and the last first, He truly loved people and used His very life to spread a message of love and hope. And (what I think is the most unfortunate parts for a vast majority of Christians today) the people who He disagreed with the most and had the least patience for were the Pharisees who were experts on (what we see now as) the Old Testament and used their knowledge to doubt and oppress and control people (sound familiar? i.e. Christians today).

I know that the people saying that God is a bastard are people that aren't or are no longer Christians and don't believe the same things that I do, but I think it's fair if you're going to look at things from the Old Testament to make a case that God was a jerk you should look at the text as a whole.

I didn't grow up in the church (in fact I was an adult before I came to know Christ) and therefore wasn't inundated with religious dogma or brainwashed. My search for truth in life led me here, and as I continue to seek truth my faith and thoughts are always changing. I know no one was saying that I believe everything that I am told, I just thought I would clear it up.
The Robot Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote