Music Banter - View Single Post - You have to listen to this
View Single Post
Old 02-12-2009, 02:50 AM   #102 (permalink)
Demonoid
Music Addict

Ok, I'm still trying to review Mice Parade and something or the other keeps distracting me from giving it a proper listen! Anyways, from what I've listened to -

The entire album has this wonderful post-rock'ish atmosphere, which isn't attention grabbing, but still gets stuck in one part of your brain! It sounds innocent, as well as haunting and mysterious at the same time. The textures weren't easy to notice on the first few listens, since I too fell into the 'background music' trap. It sure was a grower, and headphones greatly enhanced this experience.

The vocals on the opening track took time getting used to. It's not that they are bad, but didn't work for me for some reason. Mystery Brethren is an early highlight. The track title sums it up perfectly - like you've been transformed to a magical land, with only mysteries surrounding you. This enigma only keeps growing as the song continues, adding in more twists and turns. There are a lot of gentle textures here, which became much more evident with my headphones. Sounds timeless; like I'm just floating about somewhere. Same goes Focus On A Roller Coaster as well which continues the good work, bordering this post-rock acid-jazz vibe. The vocals weren't distracting at all here. Other tracks, such as Milton Road & Guitars for Plants, which are a bit louder, along with the ever changing male-female vocals bring in the much needed variety. I don't think at any point did this album sound repetitive. Almost all the songs had a purpose with little to no filler at all. Even the ending was satisfying. Overall, I did find it quite enjoyable, but at times, something felt missing! I'd give it a 7.5/10. Definitely worth checking out, and I feel it'll grow on me even more.

I shall skip lovage (although I might be missing out!), and just move onto the next one. PM away when it's ready.
Demonoid is offline   Reply With Quote