Music Banter - View Single Post - Top 10 Most Important Albums To You
View Single Post
Old 02-12-2009, 09:08 PM   #91 (permalink)
Molecules
daddy don't

I've done this in in chronological order, which makes more sense I think. I 'got into' music comparatively late (15/16), not having the guiding influence of a 'rock dad' or especially musical parents even, just music magazines and those awful channels that show back-to-back video promos into eternity.

So this is early 2001 onwards really.

1. Stereophonics - Word Gets Around

I still rate this one, they got shit after this. Aside from silly pop cassettes and the odd soundtrack this was (probably) the first rock album I got. Just great songcraft that I could listen to all day and lyrics about boring old Wales. I was bored too. Either this or the Offspring's Americana which prompted my first gig.

2. Pixies - B-Sides

Q Magazine said it was worth a shot, I had some pocket money.
I didn't know what a B-side was, had to ask my dad. Before we had wikipedia so the Pixies were this mysterious wailing entity and the sleevenotes were by a bloke called Frank Black?... Cool!

3. Red Hot Chili Peppers - discography up to and including Californication

Oh yes, this band were straight on the CD walkman as soon as I got out of class, at lunch, wherever. Fratboy funk/cock rock, it had that essential energy that a sexually-frustrated, pubescent kid demands; and I thought all the band members were the best IN THE WORLD at their respective instruments. Obviously I've moved on, but Bloodsugar, Hot Minute and Californication endure.
I even had the Out In L.A. rarities disc, which I fucking loved and made me write pages of awful lyrics for a band I would never be in.

4. Various - Pop Art: Underground Sounds from the Warhol Era (soundtrack compilation to Channel 4 documentary I didn't see)

I am going to make my hellspawn kids listen to this as soon as they grow their first ears because it did me a world of good.

1. I'm Waiting for the Man - The Velvet Underground
2. Search and Destroy - Iggy & the Stooges
3. These Days - Nico
4. You're Gonna Miss Me - 13th Floor Elevators
5. Kick Out the Jams - MC5
6. I Wanna Be Your Dog - The Stooges
7. Andy Warhol - David Bowie
8. Jet Boy - New York Dolls
9. Roadrunner - Jonathan Richman & the Modern Lovers
10. X Offender - Blondie
11. I Wanna Be Your Boyfriend - The Ramones
12. Marquee Moon - Television
13. Hello It's Me - John Cale, Lou Reed

5. the Clash - the Clash

I was embarking on a punk/post-punk odyssey and this was everything to me; it was angry young man music and it was ENGLISH. 'London Calling' had a similar effect on me, these albums gave me hope and energy. That year Joe Strummer died, I read the NME articles and went out and got more albums.

6. Joy Division - Substance

Introduced me to desolate and desperate sounds that made me want to start a band more than anything. Unfortunately everybody else was listening to Led Zeppelin. Bastards.

It just went perfectly with where I was at the time, directionless, isolated. I could even play along to the songs on my starter-kit guitar!

7. Beastie Boys - Hello Nasty

The Eminem albums came before this but it no way got me into hip-hop.
This destroyed preconceptions. It was not massively representative of the hip-hop I'd come to love, but it was B-boy before I knew what that was and it was just energizing and a bit alien. I had a friend who decided he hated hip-hop and loved metal, he gave away all his classics to me - NWA, Wu-Tang, Dr. Dre.

8. Manic Street Preachers - the Holy Bible

There was worse to come but this album is responsible for nearly pushing me over the edge. Relentless and stone-cold f*cking sober.

9. Funkadelic - One Nation Under A Groove (cheapo best-of)

First album I got stoned to (I don't smoke anymore incidentally )

10. the Beatles - Rubber Soul

Revolver got me into them and nudged the door but this one kicked it open at a low-point in my time on planet earth thus far. 2006, the long one
There are any number of shot-away 60's albums and dance mixes I could reel off here but you get the idea.

Post-'06 various postal-ordered grime mixtapes and CD-Rs from my DJ mate who educated me on electronic music of all kinds; these gave me the huge slap I needed.

Buying my own desktop in 2007 has rendered this kind of list almost pointless, it ends here!

Honourary mentions that I couldn't fit into the 10 (there were honestly real life-savers/eye-openers) chronological:

blur - modern life is rubbish
the strokes - is this it
jeff buckley - grace
love - forever changes

[SIZE="1"]Eff em
tumble her

Last edited by Molecules; 02-12-2009 at 09:25 PM.
Molecules is offline   Reply With Quote