Music Banter - View Single Post - Top 10 Most Important Albums To You
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2009, 05:18 PM   #103 (permalink)
4ZZZ
Forever young

10 Important albums to me as an individual. Wow. This takes some thinking.
Not sure that I can just pick albums. In no order of importance here is a list.

1) I think that the 1st 7 inch single I got was pretty important a record. Spending my hard earned money from my first week on a paper round on Coz I Luv You by Slade.

2) Ziggy by Bowie. This is the first album that I ever got that had impact on the senses that made me realise that music was a passion. I still play this album to this day.

3) Pictures At An Exhibition by ELP. I was introduced to this by an older mate who told me I listened to kids stuff at the time. In hindsite a lot of rot but as an impressionable teen I trusted his judgement. This record opened up a new world of music as when I played it my Mum recognised Mussorgsky and it made me realise that I did really like all that music that she had played. I just did not want to admit it.

4) Dark Side Of The Moon by Pink Floyd. Records like this make an impression that lasts for ever.

5) King Of The Swingers by Kenny Ball And His Jazzmen. My dad had this obscure record and I loved it when I was a kid. It made me listen to Jazz and from this Trad band lots of other weird and wonderful sounds evolved.

6) (I'm) Stranded by The Saints. This was the record that has made me rail against elitist bullshit artists in the music world. This was the ducks guts, the beez kneez, a power laden surge of adrenalin and I loved it with a passion. So what did I get from my wanky mates? Derision with such garbage as "they can't play their instruments". Hang about boys they can actually but you are too limited in your outlook to hear.

7) John Williams wonderful Rodrigo:Concierto De Aranjuez. This piece of music my mum played when I was very young but what version I do not remember. One day I asked her about it and she got this for me as a gift. This is really a wonderful record that not only provokes memories but also sadness for the emotion of the music.

8) The entire output of Dead Can Dance. The recordings of this remarkable group just do it for me. No matter the feelings I put them on and get transported to another world. Sorry a bit of a cheat but such is life!

9) Beat by Chris Knox. This had a emotional impact that at the time hit a spot. It is strange how music can have that effect.

10) Is All Over The Map by Giant Sand. I realised that this very good album was Country Music and opened my eyes to a whole new world. Put your prejudices away folks.
4ZZZ is offline   Reply With Quote