Music Banter - View Single Post - Best New Romantic?
View Single Post
Old 02-14-2009, 06:30 AM   #25 (permalink)
Molecules
daddy don't

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scots_ML View Post
I always have laugh at how London always takes the plaudits for movements in the UK.
For example there was a burgeoning scene in Glasgow that started in approx 1976 that was New Romantic in everything but name. The scene even had its own local bands like the Cuban Heels.
The followers of this scene were merely known as “Posers” and had a liking for (at that time) what was considered outlandish clothes.
In Glasgow this was, what you might call, a high risk lifestyle choice as even just wearing skin tight trousers (as opposed to the fashion of the time, flares) often saw you subjected to violence.
London always gets the kudos because it’s the main area for the media in the UK. That’s why past scenes dominated by Liverpool, Manchester, and even Glasgow (to a lesser extent in the early 80’s) have always annoyed the self centered, vainglorious, media whores of the UK’s South East.
As always, once the media packaged, branded and spat out a London scene as “New Romantic” and it getting picked up by the middle classes, it had already died out in other parts of the UK.
I agree with your point but... were you in a failed synth-pop outfit or something? you sound quite bitter...

Anyway I don't think London quite claims credit for everything in pop culture... off the top of my head, Merseybeat? Almost all the best 60's beat and pop groups were ex-captiol - the Hollies, Zombies, Beatles, rah rah... They just all had to go to London to get noticed in the first place
All the best 70's/80's bands were Lancashire/ Cheshire too, I think that's pretty acknowledged.

These days there aren't any regional scenes kicking off because of the internet and the media seemingly not giving a f*ck anyway, it's really boring. You never know where bands are from

[SIZE="1"]Eff em
tumble her
Molecules is offline   Reply With Quote