Music Banter - View Single Post - 100 Things That Piss Me Off About Video Games
View Single Post
Old 02-14-2009, 10:56 PM   #364 (permalink)
Molecules
daddy don't

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
Well, I just finished playing Super Paper Mario which was a fairly fun game but the amount of ridiculous dialogue I had to sit through was really annoying. And I rented Okami last night, which seems like a pretty cool game but certainly has an obnoxious amount of little dialogue boxes popping up all the time. Also, a couple weeks ago I rented Lego Indiana Jones which wasn't quite as bad in this department as the other two but I was still forced to watch crappy little movies fairly often while I was playing it.
I think in the time you've been away, especially as the technology has allowed it games have a tendency to emulate cinema. This is fair enough for an RPG (which Paper Mario is I believe lol) or whatever but it's prevalent in most of the popular titles, whatever genre. I don't have any of the current run of consoles but I've seen enough of them to get the drift... there are still plenty of arcade-y games (that's what you call them now) about though, especially on the Wii.

I could only speculate as to the reason for this trend but I guess since the Playstation first extended videogames' appeal outside the kid/nerd bracket and the graphics are much closer to reality, there has been bigger demand for this populist 'like being in a movie' aesthetic. And there is plenty of talking in movies. Casual/modern gamers all seem to take this for granted so it doesn't especially annoy them, I certainly got used to cutscenes when I used to play alot.

[SIZE="1"]Eff em
tumble her
Molecules is offline   Reply With Quote