Music Banter - View Single Post - The Bulldog 150
Thread: The Bulldog 150
View Single Post
Old 02-15-2009, 03:43 PM   #33 (permalink)
Bulldog
why bother?

Right, I've fallen behind with this thread a bit, so here are next eight to make up for missing out yesterday.

The first lot;

84. Marvin Gaye - What's Going On (1971)

I don't really need to explain myself here do I.
The best bits: What's Happening Brother, Flying High (In the Friendly Sky), Right On

83. The Buzzcocks - Another Music In a Different Kitchen (1978)

Personally, the Buzzcocks' (Devoto-less) debut could be my favourite first wave British punk (-pop) album, boasting some all-round great rock songs with such great instrumentation that it lets the whiny angst in the lyrics be put on the back burner for the listener. Worth it for the last track alone. Terrific musicianship and songwriting is here for all to see, in the form of another shining example of Brit punk at its best.
The best bits: No Reply, I Don't Mind, Moving Away From the Pulsebeat

82. Kraftwerk - The Man-Machine (1978)

Crikey, a lot of these are from '78 eh. Ah well. Anyway, Kraftwerk are another one of the artists you'll find in this list which it's painfully difficult to pick one album from. Trans-Europe Express, Autobahn and Computer World narrowly missed out on a spot here, but the reason this makes it is partly because it's the first entirely electronic album I ever bought. Also, it's one of the best 'downtime albums' I've ever invested in as well, as it just draws up such beautiful images upon listening. Basically, I love it to bits.
The best bits: Spacelab, Metropolis, The Model

81. Bob Dylan - Desire (1976)

I've never really been too keen on Dylan to be honest. Or at least not 'til recently. I always used to think he was kind of overrated until a former flatmate of mine played me Hurricane, which I loved. About a year later I got this album, which (evidently) I also love. As with all the truly great folk music, the main strength is for me in the lyrics and their being backed up by laid back, non-too-intrusive music and production styles. One of the best of the genre I reckon. I can see myself getting into more of this guy's stuff.
The best bits: Hurricane, Isis, One More Cup Of Coffee (Valley Below)

Last edited by Bulldog; 02-15-2009 at 03:54 PM.
Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote