Music Banter - View Single Post - The MusicBanter Hive Mind
View Single Post
Old 02-16-2009, 03:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
The Robot Hunter
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoopieJones View Post
I want to make a review of a Tegan and Sara album
I like Tegan and Sara.

I think generally speaking the people that are attracted to regularly posting on a music forum usually have interests and opinions that are outside of the cultural "norm." So it makes sense that popular music would be generally rejected by the forum. I think it's easier on an online forum to be extreme in your opinions such as saying "That band sucks because they are popular." or "I am cool for listening to this music because no one has heard of it so I must be original and different." I'm not saying that these statements are all that common on the forum, in fact based on other music forums I've been a part of there's far less music snobs because most of the people in this forum would like to actually share the music that they like as opposed to bragging about the fact that you haven't heard of my favorite band.

I think if when you're posting your thinking is "will this hurt the forum?" such as choosing not to berate an introductory poster's taste in music because it is good for the forum to have more people OR choosing to berate an introductory poster's taste in music because you don't want their talk of their crappy music messing up your forum, then you're getting into the hive mind mentality. I've only been around the forum for a couple of weeks so I don't think I have that mentality yet, if only because I don't feel accepted to the hive (purely based on time spent, I think in general my opinions have been met with both acceptance and intelligent criticism and debate, which I appreciate).
The Robot Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote