Music Banter - View Single Post - The Bulldog 150
Thread: The Bulldog 150
View Single Post
Old 02-17-2009, 03:07 AM   #45 (permalink)
Bulldog
why bother?

76. Madness - Absolutely (1980)

You can't not love Madness really can you? And I'm proud to say the first tune I heard in 2008 was Baggy Trousers live on Jools Holland. Ah, good times! The album... it's a really fun, energetic and bouncy work of ska with added pop and rock 'n' roll spices, and one of the essentials of the genre in my opinion.
The best bits: Baggy Trousers, E.R.N.I.E., Solid Gone

75. 10cc - The Original Soundtrack (1975)

Alright, it's the only 10cc album I have, but I still think it's worth its place in this particular list. As an album it puts prog and the soft-rock inclinations of Steely Dan through the mangle and comes up with some very good results indeed, and not only that but I'm Not In Love is a masterpiece. This definitely has its moments, but unfortunately the whole album isn't quite as strong as its highlights, so its a well-earned place in this particular bracket.
The best bits: I'm Not In Love, Brand New Day, Life Is a Minestrone

74. The Pop Group - Y (1979)

And here we have an album that's great for all the opposite reasons. Recorded as it is by a bunch of geezers who had no idea how to play their instruments (except for their drummer), it's basically a glorious mess of funky post-punk which uses the odd disco rhythm here and there (as on She Is Beyond Good and Evil, one of the classics of the movement). Very difficult to truly love, but naturally it clicks after more than one listen, and it's truly one of the most forward-thinking albums of the time.
The best bits: She Is Beyond Good and Evil, We Are Time, the Boys From Brazil

73. Air - Moon Safari (1998)

Another item of electronica/trip-hop here and another one of France's finest musical exports, the moods and textures of this album really are quite something, again managing to keep your undivided attention throughout the chilled out ambience which dominates the record with some great bass rhythms (Talisman is basically worthwhile ambience by numbers). Another one of those downtime albums which make for a pretty important part of any music library.
The best bits: Sexy Boy, Talisman, You Make It Easy

Last edited by Bulldog; 02-17-2009 at 03:13 AM.
Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote