Music Banter - View Single Post - An Alternative Look at The 1960's
View Single Post
Old 02-17-2009, 05:17 AM   #49 (permalink)
TheCellarTapes
Music Addict

? & The Mysterians - 96 Tears
(1966)

Tracks

1 I Need Somebody
2 Stormy Monday
3 You're Telling Me Lies
4 Ten O'Clock
5 Set Aside
6 Up Side
7 Teen
8 Don't Tease Me
9 Don't Break This Heart of Mine
10 Why Me
11 Midnight Hour
12 96 Tears

? & The Mysterians from Flint, Michigan are quite literally Garage legends. To mainstream audiences they were known for being a one hit wonder, but they were much more then that, they created this brilliant, and very much underrated album.

Led by their charismatic front man "?" (His legal name by the way), the band released their debut album in 1966 on the Cameo Record label. 96 Tears contains their solitary big hit which reached number 1 in America in October of 1966,

The title track was huge, and took the band instantly into the area of Garage gods, and according to the clever folk at VH1, into the one hit wonder bracket. John Lennon of the mainstream, who had more hits according to VH1, called the song "the greatest Rock n Roll song of all time", some praise indeed.

So track 12 from this album is pretty much a given, 96 Tears is, shall we say, great! But there is much more to behold on this album then just their hit. ? And The Mysterians are all about the organ, and in my view the band are at their best when the organ is being played like a demented being is at the keys producing the licks. The opening track on this album is a shining example; I Need Somebody is relentless and is a fine taster for what else can be found on this album.

But after the opener you're met with track two; Stormy Mondays is the complete opposite to the opener, its huggable and chilled with vocals accompanying the organ beautifully. But by track 3 we're back to typical Mysterian territory, this time the organ is joined by a very basic guitar, which all mixed together makes for a corking song, You're Telling Me Lies is my favourite Mysterian song, but not by far.

This winning formula runs throughout this superb debut creating equally marvellous songs, Up Side, 8 Teen, Don't Tease Me, Don't Break My Heart, sod it, basically the entire album is utter brilliance and is essential for any Garage connoisseur, if not any music lover, you really cannot go wrong with this album.
TheCellarTapes is offline   Reply With Quote