Music Banter - View Single Post - Zodiac signs
Thread: Zodiac signs
View Single Post
Old 02-17-2009, 03:27 PM   #23 (permalink)
ixtlan22
Loves Jan Terri

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeAndno View Post
Constellations are man made patterns. They could have easily been something completely different i.e. a lot bigger or smaller, hence that would change what sign you would be.
Right that's a given but I think they are kept track of by what is easily observable. And of course they are man made patterns just like laws of science are extremely predictable patterns (so as to be called 'law') designed by man made experiments. I understand that it's hard to suspend bias after all the ridiculous claims that have come from astrology in the recent past but to believe blindly in what is accepted right now about it (not a whole lot, scientifically speaking) is the same as believing blindly that the world could not be round like most people thought years ago. Good science is open minded, ready to be proved right, wrong or simply questionable. Just because astrology is unpopular now doesn't mean there might not be something to it. In the study of organisms it is impossible to separate the actions of the organism from its environment. So extend your outward seeking explanation from human 'behavior is determined by the Earth,' to 'the Earth's behavior is determined by its position in the solar system' (i.e. seanal changes), to 'the Solar system's behavior is determined by the Milky Way,' and so on and so forth. I don't mean to reject free will or genetics (to tie in that ethics discussion), but unless you can prove to me beyond a shadow of a doubt that there is NOT an outwardly acting force on our actions that exists simultaneously with our will, then I am open to the idea. One hypothesis for this could be the position of the Earth in relation to the rest of the universe.

I'm not telling anyone to look up their horoscope and act on it (I would never do this); I am simply writing this because I think it is important to be open to new scientific ideas. Science can limit just as easily as it can expand our perception, just like religion.