Music Banter - View Single Post - Morality and the Bible
View Single Post
Old 02-17-2009, 08:51 PM   #191 (permalink)
streetwaves
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrible Lizard View Post
People can believe whatever their twisted minds can conceive, which is a point of this thread. The point is that since human mental and physical ideas having a set purpose, the same could be said of humanity. Not created for a specific purpose, but the gun-smith seems to find purpose for himself in making an object with no direct purpose. The same could be attributed to the idea of God.
Of course purpose is self constructed, but there are certain things we can't help - things that happen whether we like them or not, whether we can explain them or not, or whether we can recognize a purpose or not. I don't claim there's a purpose to morality, what I do claim is that it exists. It exists so plainly that it's just as difficult to deny as my existence as a physical being. That means we don't need to teach our children to share or to do unto others - you can see at such a young age children doing those very same things without instruction. Nothing philosophical about it. If we attempt to intervene, for example, by subscribing to a religion that contains 2,000 year old moral "teachings", we can succeed in diminishing our morality by smothering it with nonsense, which is why religion should go away.