Music Banter - View Single Post - Ethics - What are yours like?
View Single Post
Old 02-17-2009, 10:58 PM   #15 (permalink)
sleepy jack
isfckingdead

I understand that but I'm more curious of moral issues that have nothing to do with the survival of your genes. This is the problem I've always had with Ayn Rand, it's the idea of an "objective morality" that comes down to shag, eat, and most importantly ensure your race to survive. To me, that isn't morality so much as common sense...I tend to think of morality as being something a bit more widespread then that. For instance, the issue of gay marriage, now I would personally consider it immoral to deny rights and pleasures to others, but some people, based on a religious text, considering the very act of homosexuality immoral. How does that fit into your argument? From the stand point I've heard, and this may sound prickish, there seems to be an inherent contradiction there. On one hand you don't want to see someone of your species suffer an injustice because of some sense of empathy on the other hand wouldn't you want to discourage sexual behavior that doesn't lead to reproduction? This is kind of a bad example because it's not an issue totally separate from it but I'm tired. I guess we could get into taxation but I'm growing tired of debating the "morality" of that.
sleepy jack is offline   Reply With Quote