Music Banter - View Single Post - Ethics - What are yours like?
View Single Post
Old 02-18-2009, 03:19 PM   #18 (permalink)
Guybrush
Juicious Maximus III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamikazi Kat View Post
I can't believe I read that entire thing.

So, to put it in simpler words. A population of only doves is the best way to go, but all it takes is for one hawk and the whole thing gets screwed up.

I guess you could compare hawks to a disease or a virus. No matter how many doves, as long as there is just one hawk, the disease will spread.
Yes, when talking about evolution in populations, it only takes one hawk to ruin the bliss that is all dove.

The hawks and doves are living in an anarchy though. A hawk in a population of doves can do whatever it wants and get away with it. In populations, exploitation strategies have countermeasures and so it's often an evolutionary arms-race between exploiters and the would-be-exploited. Identifying and/or remembering exploiters is often a good strategy. Vampire bats may share blood with other bats who are starving, but those who only take and don't give back are probably ousted from the bloodsharing and that makes the exploitive strategy less successful and the numbers of exploiters will go down.

Perhaps you could use that as an argument against liberalism.