Music Banter - View Single Post - Favorite Guitars
View Single Post
Old 02-18-2009, 06:52 PM   #203 (permalink)
GuitarBizarre
D-D-D-D-D-DROP THE BASS!

Agreed. I have the vanilla 400, and one thing I hate about it is that while for the price its great, the finishing just isn't that great. Theres paint bleeds in some places, and mine actually arrived with a large shallow depression in the paint on the back.

In addition, the bridge isn't brilliant. A couple of years strung with 10-52 guage strings, noticably wore the saddles and nut down to the point the strings became hard to keep in radius. Not to mention intonation on the High E was a consistent PITA. Replacing the bridge with something that had stronger saddles would be the only way for me to return to it. That and the electronics. The cavities are shielded with a thin coat of ferrous paint, and the soldering work isn't brilliant. Its always buzzed noticably.

Oh, and whether it was just my guitar, or the EMGs, or the Compensated nut or whatever, I dunno, but for some reason that guitar was always very muddy with any amount of distortion. drop D tuning made it almost impossible to seperate the tones within a chord if I played it heavy.

Edit: BTW, this is part of the reason I would be VERY tempted to do away with anything 'off the shelf' in my guitars. If it weren't for the prihibitive cost of doing so, I would quite happily specify a custom built set of hardware on any custom I ordered. It would basically be a ZR tremolo system, made entirely of milled steel, with a redesigned arm holder. Even I'd have a hard time breaking that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
I'll have you know, my ancestors were Kings of Wicklow! We're as Irish as losing a three-nil lead in a must-win fixture!
GuitarBizarre is offline   Reply With Quote