Music Banter - View Single Post - Best metal 2000-present
View Single Post
Old 02-21-2009, 07:14 PM   #47 (permalink)
Mojo
Melancholia Eternally

It's really not that important but I have to admit it's something that's been bugging me with some of the replies in this thread. Thats down to me of course that **** like that would bug me, it just does. You will notice that a lot of people have mentioned Opeth in their replies.

It says in the first post that this thread is for bands of the last decade ie 2000 onwards. Not albums but bands. Opeth were established before 2000. Established being the key word in that sentence. Regardless of whether an individual prefers their 90's stuff or their stuff post 2000 I think its hard pushed to claim that a band with 4 albums in the 90's and 5 in the 00's would be considered a band of the current decade rather than the past.

I think grey areas only start to appear where a band releases a debut record toward the very end of a decade, especially if they then go on to greater commercial success in the following decade. Opeth may be more commercially successful now but 4 albums between 95 and 99 establish them as a band of the 90's and therefore eligible for discussion in a thread about 90's metal bands. There probably isnt one, but you get the picture.

Last.FM | Echoes and Dust
Mojo is offline   Reply With Quote