Music Banter - View Single Post - Beirut
Thread: Beirut
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2009, 06:40 AM   #61 (permalink)
4ZZZ
Forever young

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieasleep View Post
i understand how people could think that after his first LP "Gulag Orkestar" and many people did think that. i remember reading a lot of comments about the album referring to Zach Condon as "the new Jeff Mangum" and it is almost understandable considering they share the balkan folk influences, the good use of horns, etc. it is even more understandable considering that these influences are rarely used in an even half way digestible, Americanized way.
I still don't buy it though. I do not think that Gulag Orkestar is anything like NMH. I get a bit frustrated at the music press to be honest. A nice new sound appears and they try and down grade it by pompous comparisons. I look forward the day when these hacks get a life and enjoy music for the sake of listening to it and not trying to have Freudian analysis of an aesthetic value.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieasleep View Post
i wish more bands would follow the leads of beirut and neutral milk hotel because the mixture of horns, strings, and vocals that these two bands use produces some of my favorite music.
Have you heard A Hawk and A Hacksaw? Might just be right up your alley.
4ZZZ is offline   Reply With Quote