Music Banter - View Single Post - Is Remixed Music Art?
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2009, 11:10 PM   #25 (permalink)
Anteater
Certified H00d Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molecules View Post
it's your fault for encouraging him

anteater if you have listened to 'It Takes A Nation Of Millions to Hold Us Back' and still don't consider it art I feel sorry for you. Bob Dylan appropriated other, better folksters' protest spirit/style/chords/clothes and is still considered art. Almost everything is a reappropriation of existing forms
I think people are under the impression that I completely despise sampling, which is wrong. 'It Takes A Nation..." was great, and Entroducing... by DJ Shadow is a masterpiece, but I ....fear, I suppose, that the seeming greater and greater acceptance of sampling (especially as less instances of the original artists actually get credited emerge) in more and more genres of music, especially as we head into this century, is going to eventually drive down people's desire to actually pick up their instruments and PLAY something they try to write themselves.

And also, even if Dylan carried on the sentiments, style and the 4/4 chord of others, were his lyrics and compositions not his own? Also, he played his own damn guitar: he didn't sit up there on stage and just talk every once in awhile while somebody's recorded playing blared out of nearby speakers.

Anteater's Daily Tune Roulette

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk
I was called upon by the muses for greatness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland
I'm bald, ja.
Anteater is offline   Reply With Quote