Music Banter - View Single Post - Is Remixed Music Art?
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2009, 11:36 PM   #29 (permalink)
Molecules
daddy don't

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anteater View Post
I think people are under the impression that I completely despise sampling, which is wrong. 'It Takes A Nation..." was great, and Entroducing... by DJ Shadow is a masterpiece, but I ....fear, I suppose, that the seeming greater and greater acceptance of sampling (especially as less instances of the original artists actually get credited emerge) in more and more genres of music, especially as we head into this century, is going to eventually drive down people's desire to actually pick up their instruments and PLAY something they try to write themselves.

And also, even if Dylan carried on the sentiments, style and the 4/4 chord of others, were his lyrics and compositions not his own? Also, he played his own damn guitar: he didn't sit up there on stage and just talk every once in awhile while somebody's recorded playing blared out of nearby speakers.
yeah but this isn't the mid 80's, sampling hasn't just arrived on the scene to infiltrate our happy suburbs. Your poor understanding of how samples were used in the boom (before the early 90's clearance laws were passed) shows; for one PE was more like dense sound collage, and tracks that are built around a sampled drum break/ jazz figure/ whatever still need hooks and choruses written for them if that's the format the artist chooses.

I'm a bit flabbergasted at having to argue hip-hop's corner in this day and age, but lyrically and musically it's every bit as relevant as Bob f*cking Dylan, more so even, and the music arose from minority cultures unable to afford expensive instruments and amplifiers. You look at the Kinks, playing the working class lads, they were all in fact thoroughly middle grammar kids, do you think anybody else could afford an electric guitar in the 60's? You work with what you've got
And if rabble-rousing negros are not your bag, you might want to check out My Life In the Bush of Ghosts for one, and tell me exactly how that is unoriginal and irrelevant.

Besides this thread is about remixes, not hip-hop, and outside of MOR sponsored turds like Kanye West you will not find a lot of sampling anymore, it's far too costly and time consuming when you have digital studios

[SIZE="1"]Eff em
tumble her
Molecules is offline   Reply With Quote