Music Banter - View Single Post - Is Remixed Music Art?
View Single Post
Old 02-26-2009, 12:16 PM   #40 (permalink)
Janszoon
Mate, Spawn & Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm11b View Post
A friend of mine who was working on his music performance degree (percussion) had an argument with a coworker (a part-time DJ) while working at a music store. The DJ claimed what he did- spinning records- was no different than any other musician. My friend argued that a "real musician" requires years, even decades, of practice to master an instrument. It requires extensive knowledge of theory and thousands of hours of practice. Being a DJ, or remix artist, does not.

To prove his point, my friend spent his spare time at the store in the DJ room for a couple days. In a very short amount of time, he could do everything the DJ could- if not better because of his background. In turn, he asked the DJ to play some of his college percussion music, some of which were drumset solos and 4-mallet marimba pieces that even grad students spend months practicing.

Obviously the DJ couldn't do it.

It might take some skill and talent to do a remix or be a DJ at a club, but don't kid yourself and pretend you're in the same league as an actual musician.
One of the biggest things I got out of going to art school was learning the difference between technical ability and artistic ability. Sounds like your friend still confuses the two.
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote