Music Banter - View Single Post - Is Remixed Music Art?
View Single Post
Old 02-26-2009, 02:16 PM   #47 (permalink)
Janszoon
Mate, Spawn & Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm11b View Post
I'll be more blunt. I don't think remixing requires a person to be artistically skilled. They are merely copying and pasting things other people have done until something sounds ok. I think any average person has the ability to do a remix if they have the desire.

If you look at famous composers who changed music as we know it, almost all were technical masters in addition to their creativity. You can't write a symphony if you don't have the technical chops to do it. You can't write a piano sonata if you can't actually play piano- if you attempt it, it will either sound like crap or not make sense to the hands- probably both.

I could open Garage Band on my Mac and pull together a pretty nice sounding song with the selection of loops. I'm not going to kid myself into thinking it took some kind of creative genius to do it. If you look at any remixing contest on the web, there will be a million entries and all of them sound pretty good.
You're missing the point. I'm not saying that having technical ability means you don't have artistic ability, I'm saying that it doesn't necessarily mean you have artistic ability. They are two separate things.

And I have to question the premise of your second paragraph. I would venture to say that most modern composers are actually less technically proficient than many of the people who wind up playing their stuff, because otherwise why wouldn't they just play it all themselves?

Also, who says something has to be made by a "creative genius" in order to be artistic? To use your example, if you put something together in GarageBand that's really unique and emotionally moving then you've accomplished something artistic. It doesn't matter if you are a creative genius or not. As I said before it's the final product that matters.
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote