Music Banter - View Single Post - The 60's Psych Thread
View Single Post
Old 02-27-2009, 04:47 AM   #125 (permalink)
Molecules
daddy don't

Luv Machine - Luv Machine (1971)
link

Okay, so the Barbados heavy-psych group Luv Machine's only album came out in 1971, but this is stipulated as the cut-off year in the first post so it's okay

This isn't classy music, this isn't clever music, it's the bastard offspring of Hendrix, Cream and HP Lovecraft (the band). So you're getting lots of lyrical references to the female of the species, lots of guitar solos and a genuinely satisfying amount of strutting riffage and wah-wah in every song.

Honestly I don't know if Barbados is a boring place, but I'm sure the natives get fed up of lounging on the beach and complaining about tourists all the time and maybe this is why Luv Machine were so relentlessly fidgety. They just can't seem to keep still, which is a hallmark of the late 60's/early 70's progressiveness creeping into the sound of heavy garage groups who smoked far too much marijuana.
This is just as well because it makes the band far more fun to listen to. And maybe it stands to reason then that you tokers will love this, but it's important to remember that most rock albums back then were stoner albums and this is surely one of the forerunners to the stoner rock genre that would blossom into droning magnificence decades later.

One for the turntable/ music player then, and surely one of the great lost examples of Riffology refined to a science along with Leaf Hound's 'Growers of Mushroom'. As with all of the albums I've covered so far that are hard to find, there's a blog link in the header.

4.0/5

[SIZE="1"]Eff em
tumble her

Last edited by Molecules; 02-27-2009 at 05:14 AM.
Molecules is offline   Reply With Quote