Music Banter - View Single Post - Skanking.
Thread: Skanking.
View Single Post
Old 04-28-2005, 01:38 PM   #11 (permalink)
kiki chunt
Music Addict

Default Chill out, buy a silly hat, and skank till you cheer up

(1) BOWLER hats?
Shurely shome mishtake? Or you have been hanging with some very strange people.
Trad rude boy headgear would be the 'pork pie' hat - bowler hats are flat rimmed rigid dome topped affairs, once worn by city gents in the UK like about 50 years ago, or John Steed from 'The Avengers' only slightly more recently - it's more the look of 'Clockwork Orange' than Orange Street . . .

(2) Skank and Skankin' - as far as I know is just a piece of jamaican / rude boy / rasta slang for dancing . . . but if there is a specific ska dance move now known by that name, do it and enjoy it I say.

Sorry to hear you're deluded enough to believe some or other dance associated with ska will be it's 'downfall'. Keeping in mind this form of music must be about 40 years old or more, and it has ALWAYS involved some deranged version of running on the spot in sharp tailored but essentially silly clothing, I can't really see it being in any immediate danger.

Most ska is fun energetic dance music, you SHOULD run around like a loon to it, THAT IS WHAT IT IS FOR - and presumably also why it's still popular enough to be made and played today, even someplace where whiney pissy people who are too cool to dance might encounter it.

You would appear to be taking this (and possibly yourself) much too seriously soldier
kiki chunt is offline   Reply With Quote