Music Banter - View Single Post - The 10 Track Mixtape Thread (Song Lists Without Links Will Be Deleted)
View Single Post
Old 03-01-2009, 03:16 AM   #760 (permalink)
Demonoid
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molecules View Post
Glad you (sort of) liked the indie-pop one D, I was careful to include a twee disclaimer of sorts with that one
The Dentists debut album is an unsung classic I think. Entitled Some People Are On The Pitch They Think It's All Over It Is Now, which will make sense if you are English.

Demonoid's first 10-track:

I am rather fond of this, it's an extremely eclectic selection of non-Western music and I am wondering how vast your record collection must be if you got all of these from albums?

Tracks I dig:

Quella Vecchia Locanda - Un Giorno, Un Amico
^
This wasn't exactly meant to be a "non-western music" sort of thing although it came off a bit that way lol. Like I said earlier, it's more or less "non-english vocals/lyrics" which I seem to enjoy.

Lhasa for example wouldn't have interested me as much if she had sung in english completely. The fact that she sings in spanish has its own appeal. Even if I understand little, her voice alone could carry it for me. You should give that album a listen sometime. The backing instrumentation could be compared to tom waits, and when mixed with her soulful singing, creates a wonderful atmosphere. Same goes for Shiina Ringo as well. I quite like her voice tbh and some Japanese-pop mixed with other styles isn't a bad thing at all. It's only those strait-up cheesy J-pop that bores me, but this certainly has the right ingredients to keep me interested. As for Dolores Delirio...I totally get what you're trying to say. More like do their own thing. But oh well, sometimes I don't seem to mind it. Osamu Kitajima - I could sort that out for ya...I've got almost all his recordings, but without proper track names. Need to fix that first.

And Ethiopian music - I might have listened to some in these 'African music compilations', but I really don't remember. Definitely interested though. Bulldog made an African compilation like few pages back? should give that a listen prolly sometime soon. Hardly have time atm, but I'll get around to it soon. Glad you liked most of this at least.

And if you do end up listening to my next comp, go in with a point of hating it at first. When I said "all the crap I've been listening" earlier, I meant this .

Last edited by Demonoid; 03-01-2009 at 03:56 AM.
Demonoid is offline   Reply With Quote