Music Banter - View Single Post - Ethics - What are yours like?
View Single Post
Old 03-01-2009, 08:33 PM   #43 (permalink)
streetwaves
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardboard adolescent View Post
this is going to be my last post in this thread

since moral dilemmas over what is right and wrong are due to cultural and religious corruption, we must all innately know whether abortion is right or wrong and what the proper ethical treatment for animals is. you might think you innately know the answer to both of these questions, which would explain why you can hold such a view, but since i don't know whether it is wrong to abort an unborn fetus or whether it's wrong to hold an animal in close captivity for most of its life so you can eat it, it must be that the ability to know such things is not innate.
We all innately have an idea of right and wrong and how to recognize it when we see it. However, religious and cultural corruption can displace these feelings or drown them out. In the case of religion it's probably because our desire to know the answers to big questions is very strong, and when we're offered an answer and then told it requires something of us, we often give in. I don't innately know that abortion is right or wrong or how to treat animals, but I have an idea of in which direction the right answer lies. This is why morality is constantly evolving and changing, and while you may not have decided yet, it is possible for a decision to be made based on your sense of what the right answer should be. The potential to discern between right and wrong decisions as they present themselves is all that matters, and it most certainly is innate.