Music Banter - View Single Post - What are you reading right now?
View Single Post
Old 03-02-2009, 12:48 AM   #1191 (permalink)
Fruitonica
Pale and Wan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davey Moore View Post
By the way, if anyone likes Fantasy, check out Steven Erikson's Tales of the Malazan Book of the Fallen.

The greatest fantasy series ever made. The most epic series ever made, and I'm not lying either, this guy makes Tolstoy looks thin in terms of overarching story lines.
Yeah, it's incredible the amount of plotting he puts into these books, and how they all come together at the end. As far as 'epic' goes, he is the pinnacle.

It's definitely my favourite series, but after Midnight Tides I think it has really dropped off in quality. I think he's suffering from churning out these massive tomes at such a pace. For starters the timeline is irreparably broken, which isn't something that I have a huge problem with, but it does show a lack of editing.

Toll the Hounds got off to a great start, with the tension ratcheting up nicely. But a couple of lazy decisions near the end totally shattered the credibility and impact of the convergence, which should have been the most awesome thing ever. It's not even like he wrote himself into a hole, I have no idea why things had to turn out like.
Fruitonica is offline   Reply With Quote