Music Banter - View Single Post - Hip-Hop Battle Semi-Final 1
View Single Post
Old 03-02-2009, 06:37 AM   #29 (permalink)
Kirby
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pourmeanother View Post
Nothing we say is going to change that.

About 5 years ago when I was first getting into alternative or "underground" hip-hop stuff, I gave DOOM a try and I really just did not like him. I didn't understand the infatuation with the guy.

Over the years I've revisited his stuff and grown to like him, and many tracks from his alter egos. I think he's more clever lyrically then you maybe give him credit for-- a lot of times I don't really catch it on a basic listen, but then I go to a lyrics website and read through what he's rhyming... content wise it's not always deep, but rhyme wise it's so creative and hard not to like (IMO). It's a two parts urbandictionary.com, one part pop culture, two parts cleverness, one part genius.

You can't go into DOOM's music looking for him to redefine rap content. Overall he'll opt for wordplay and linguistics over content, life lessons, etc- but that's maybe what makes him stand out as different, since he does it so well. I like it, whereas others might just find it "cheezy", maybe you fall into the latter?
I don't know, because I usually love rappers that use wordplay, which is apparently one of his strong suits. I don't necessarily think it's cheesy, as mush as I just can't get into his slow-boring style. I've given him plenty of chances, and even listened to the majority of his discography before I gave up on him. This is just my opinion, though, and I see that a lot of underground Hip-Hop lovers feel that he deserves a high-status.
Kirby is offline   Reply With Quote