Music Banter - View Single Post - Ethics - What are yours like?
View Single Post
Old 03-02-2009, 02:28 PM   #56 (permalink)
Inuzuka Skysword
Existential Egoist

Quote:
Originally Posted by toretorden View Post
^I'm a little confused. I never wrote that we don't strive for more than survival. We do .. Skydiving is a good example of an activity that is probably not likely to increase your fitness.

edit :

By the way, you shouldn't confuse the motive "survival" as a thought that is always concious. You eat food because you're hungry, not because "I don't wanna die!".
What I am saying is that the notion that we should live with evolution creating our morality in such a way that we live to produce is offspring is not a human idea. Humans are selfish. We choose to exist longer. We choose to pursue our own happiness, the goal of every man in the universe whether he will admit it or not. Humans aren't a slave to their species like animals. Condoms exist because we feel that reproducing is not always the best thing for us. This is because we don't put our species above ourselves, we put our own happiness above our species. It just so happens that it is our motivation for happiness is really what has allowed us to overpower this planet to the point where we may destroy it.

I just realized I may have possibly missed the point though, and if this is true just ignore everything I typed above.
Inuzuka Skysword is offline   Reply With Quote