Music Banter - View Single Post - The Bulldog 150
Thread: The Bulldog 150
View Single Post
Old 03-02-2009, 02:50 PM   #79 (permalink)
Bulldog
why bother?

52. Sabrina Malheiros - Equilibria (2005)

So, we've had Brazil's finest emerging songwriter on the list, now it's Argentina's turn. This lass peddles the same kind of smooth, bossa-nova sound that her Brazilian contemporary Cibelle does but, while not being quite so artistically adventurous as the latter, does make herself stand out by opting for some interesting synthesised rhythms to back up her own brand of folk. The results are a lot better than I've probably made them seem, and her debut Equilibria is an easy album to lose yourself in. One of the shining examples of modern-day South American songwriting talent.
The best bits: Love Sorte, Saudade Rio, Equilibria

51. A Certain Ratio - I'd Like To See You Again (1982)

One of the more overlooked albums of the 80s this. Following the departure of their lead singer Martha Tilson, the band made an album which focusses a lot more on the instrumental side of songwriting, the use of the lyrics here being few and far between. What we get as a result is a blend of ska, disco and some pretty funky stuff too (the album as a whole gets the kick-start of a sublime slap-bass solo for example), which in places sounds a little bit like a precursor to the acid house movement which was a few more years down the line. Another one of the sexiest albums ever this, and one of the most interesting works of the 80s. Not saying it's responsible for the Happy Mondays and the rest of Madchester scene, but ACR certainly helped things along a bit.
The best bits: Touch, Hot Knights, Guess Who

So that's the first 50. In commemoration of actually bothering to see this thing half-way through, I'll post a run-down of 100-51 with the mixtape links where appropriate. So, yeah, give us a minute...
Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote