Music Banter - View Single Post - U2 – No Line on the Horizon Review
View Single Post
Old 03-03-2009, 04:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
ProgProfessor
Groupie

Post U2 – No Line on the Horizon Review

MP3’s will never replace the CD. You have to hear the power of this album on CD. With the release today, the long wait for U2’s follow – up is over. On the day of this release even more good news that the band is planning to release another album before the end of the year! Wow! A new level of quality music production! They promised to set new standards with this one and they delivered!

No Line on the Horizon – The title says it all. They have lifted the horizon and are producing some of the best music of their career. This as they reach into their fourth and fifth decades on Earth, proving, like their mentors before them that music is eternal. Their creativity hasn’t stopped only blossomed. This thunderous arena crowd pleaser will probably be their show opener as well as the album opener. It is dynamic and provides that reminder that this is a U2 album, but not one from the past. From the powerful cord opener to the crashing drums and rhythm which hit you like a wall of sound, they definitely prove Midas is alive and music is gold in their hands. That up tempo Unforgettable Fire beat is wonderful. The vocals are still strong as Bono screams back to life again on CD.

Magnificent – Again the title says it all. Starts out with that powerful cord and then the Depeche Mode keys, then the Edge signature riff, great combination! This song has more bass than any song should…but we like it that way! The first thing that sprung to mind was Daytona Beach from my youth. The metal crowd used to fight with the Soul crowd all the time over whose music could be heard above the roar of the ocean. I bet the rappers have been winning that battle lately. Well rockers, here is a song to lift the sound about the waves! Just in time for Spring Break all over the world! These guys do their homework! These guys make danceable songs cool again, and this is one of them. So powerful! “Only love can leave such a mark…but only love can heal such a scare!” Yes, Mr. Lennon that was for you!

Moment of Surrender – Then they slow things down with this song. Pounding beat and you can slow dance to this one. Another ONE. Remember high school proms? Bet this one will be popular. “My body is beggin’ to get back to my heart, to the rhythm of my soul”, boy do we all need that after years of the so called War on Terror and global economic chaos. Right in tune with what is going on in the world.

Unknown Caller - This was one of my early favorites when I heard the MP3’s, so I was interested to hear how different it would sound on CD. Birds open the beginning, then the trademark Edge cords…perfect! Dreamy and visionary. Sunshine, don’t we all crave that! That Unforgettable Fire guitar…I have missed that so much. “Restart and reboot yourself!” That Beatles horn and pipe organ really magnify the sound on this one! Very good guitar and drum interplay.

I’ll Go Crazy – Having fun. “How can you stand next to the truth and not see it?” I love that line. “Every generation has a chance to change the world.” It’s the lyrics. Fantastic! “It’s not a hill, it’s a mountain”, don’t burn out too fast. Yeh!

Get On Your Boots – Haven’t heard any screaming from Elvis Costello, so he must be ok with the sound of this one. Reminds me so much of the riff in Pump it Up, which I think is one of his best songs as well. It is wonderful. Powerful and definitely a commercial success already, considering how many have downloaded it already before the album came out. Video is awesome. Great guitar throughout, but especially at the end. This song is gonna be fun to watch live.

Stand Up Comedy – Bono rappin’ so well. “Stand up for your love.” Those Bloody Sunday drums…thanks for bringing them back again. Still like Candlebox’s Stand better, but this one is very good. Nice guitar interlude in the middle. Nice cymbals at the end!

Fez – Being Born – I don’t know why, maybe we don’t hear enough of it over here in the States, but Middle Eastern rhythms sound so good. This one starts out with those Moroccan influences then shifts into a drum and guitar rhythm that really cuts across everything they have done on this album or the others, so far. It really picks up pace and you feel the effect of being lifted into the air. Very cool. Like a jet taking off! The piano reminds me of Coldplay. Yes, they study the competition. Almost like Speed of Sound. “Head first, then foot, then heart set sail!” Yeh! Gotta remember to listen to this one on my next plane flight.

White as Snow – This was my favorite when I heard it on the MP3s. Strong lyrics and a powerful epic story will get me all the time. I need depth and crave stories that help tell of moral virtues. So this one is my early favorite for song of the year. “If only a heart could be as white as snow.”
Breathe – Power guitar. “Every day I have to find the courage to walk out in the street with arms out!” “I’ve found grace inside a sound!” Very strong message. Nothing else to add here, they said it all.

Cedars of Lebanon – Finish strong. I always tell my students with their assignments. This band knows how to finish strong. Another epic story. The last line is the strongest, “Choose your enemies carefully’cos they will define you…Make them interesting ‘cos in some ways they will mind you…They’re not there in the beginning but when your story ends gonna last longer than your friend.” Wonderful music supporting powerful lyrics.

So there it is. Now news today they will have another album out before the end of the year. This one will be, “more meditative and processional tone". I am already interested in that one. Sounds like Unforgettable Fire, one of my favorites.

As a college professor I teach my students to study the leaders in the industry with which they hope to build a career. Study their best practices and learn how to shape your future. U2 has given the rock world 10 “chapters” of musical genius to study and learn from.

My reviews are long. Sorry, but when someone puts as much effort into a great album they deserve the attention. Besides, you should have seen the first draft!

Cheers!

Rating 10/10 Met all of my expectations and more!

Unitopia - More Than A Dream

Last edited by ProgProfessor; 03-04-2009 at 09:12 PM.
ProgProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote