Music Banter - View Single Post - Ethics - What are yours like?
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2009, 02:29 AM   #69 (permalink)
Guybrush
Juicious Maximus III

I would argue that we do have an innate moral compass and that it is able to explain a lot about things like modern society, war, depletion of resources, etc. but that the compass is ultimately driven by the "biological selfishness" that all living things (and even some arguably unliving) possess.

I've explained why I believe that a number of times now, though, so I will leave it at that.

Regarding the poor man, you should give him money if that in turn is beneficial to you. How is it beneficial? It is, perhaps, if you regard him as part of your caveman-sense of community - if he is an "us" and not a "them". If he considers you part of his community, he might help you the same way should the tables get turned. How do you know if he's "us" or "them"? Your feelings try to guide you. If you feel able to identify yourself with, relate to or otherwise feel compassion for him, that's an indicator that he's in on the "us". If all that stands a test against your rationality, then there you go, give him cash.

Last edited by Guybrush; 03-04-2009 at 04:40 AM.
Guybrush is offline   Reply With Quote